Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Low-FODMAP Diet-What Is It?

So, in my previous post, I talked about how I'm trying different dietary changes to see what's been causing my GI problems. For the first month, I did lactose-free. The plan for this month is lactose-free, low-FODMAP. Most people have never heard of low-FODMAP diets, but it can be an extremely beneficial lifestyle if you have symptoms like I did.

What are "FODMAPs" and what foods are they in?


FODMAP is an acronym for Fermentable, Oligosaccharides, Disaccharides, Monosaccharides, and Polyols. These are a collection of molecules that are found in many foods. The FODMAPS in the diet include:
-Fructose (some fruits, honey, high-fructose corn syrup)
-Lactose (dairy products)
-Fructans (wheat, onion, garlic)
-Galactans (legumes such as beans, lentils, soybeans)
-Polyols (sweeteners containing isomalt, mannitol, sorbitol, xylitol; and stone fruits such as plums, avocado, cherries, peaches, and apricots)

How do they affect the body?


FODMAPs may not be digested or absorbed well. When these molecules are poorly absorbed in the small intestine, they travel to the large intestine and become a food source for the bacteria found in the large intestine. The bacteria digest/ferment these molecules, which causes symptoms often associated with irritable bowl syndrome. These symptoms include diarrhea, bloating, gas, and cramping. Since I had all of those symptoms, my doctor suggested trying the low-FODMAP diet.

How do you do it? Isn't it hard?


Yes. It is hard. It requires A LOT of planning. Many foods that I enjoy eating have been cut out of my diet. I'm still trying to get used to it, but I have a list of foods I can eat that I carry around with me everywhere. I pull it out at the grocery store, and had it out when we went to a restaurant for lunch on Mother's Day. I have to read EVERY food label. If the ingredients list a high-FODMAP food, it's out of the question (unless its the last ingredient on the list). Since I'm "testing" myself, I'm trying to be very strict.


So, what's next?

Although wheat, barley, and rye are on the "NO" list, technically being strictly gluten-free is not part of the low-FODMAP diet. Gluten-free breads do not contain wheat, barley, or rye in them so low-FODMAP diets can sometimes become gluten-free. I haven't really been paying close attention to my gluten, as the FODMAPs are the most important right now. But next month, I will start a strict-gluten free diet along with  lactose free and low-FODMAP. It's definitely going to be hard. But it will be worth it to get a diagnosis.


I go back to the GI doctor at the end of June, and we will decide how to proceed from there. It's important to note that I can still eat pretty much anything if I wanted to. It will just be followed up by bloating and gas, but I can still indulge if I choose to. There are lots of people on low-FODMAP diets that only stick to them 90% of the time. Eating these foods will not hurt me and is technically not life-threatening (unlike with Celiac disease or Crohn's, where specific foods MUST be avoided).


My doctor put it this way:

" Feel free to still eat what you like...but maybe not on date night *winkwink* "








No comments:

Post a Comment